I've never been one for the main stream sports so when I was asked to start a blog as a university assignment I decided to blog on alternate sports, which to me are far more exciting and extreme yet don't get the media exposure the deserve, so after Qualifying as a Exercise Scientist last year I decided to keep my blog going and focus on these sports as well as document my travels being a profession surf judge and a bit of my new interest in sport journalism, feel free to use the question box or post comments, Enjoy!

Monday, April 19, 2010

Athlete Profile

The Alternate sports solution team caught up with South African Female surf star Sarah Baum who is making waves both locally and internationally!

Name: Sarah Baum
Age: 16
Sponsors: Roxy, DC shoes, Bilt surfboards, FCS
Years Surfing: 8
Career highlights? 3rd ISA world games U18. SA team 3 times.

A.S.S: So Sarah you have had a great start to 2010, placing 3rd at ISA World Junior Champs in New Zealand and then coming home and winning the Mr Price Open in Cape Town, tell us about worlds?

Sarah Baum: Worlds was a really amazing event for me. It was my 3rd time going to worlds and for the past 2 years I have always wanted to be on the podium holding the South African flag and this year my dream came true and I was really stoked to be there finally.


A.S.S: How does it feel to be the 1st girl from South Africa to ever make the finals at World Junior Champs?

Sarah Baum: To be the first girl from SA to make the final I was really happy and hopefully I will be the first to win one.


A.S.S:
For the first time in history we have two girls from S.A on the World Championship Tour, what do you think this is going to do for girls surfing in S.A?

Sarah Baum: girls surfing in SA is really underestimated and hopefully Rosy and Nikita have shown people from SA to put more money in girls surfing and to believe in girls surfing.


A.S.S:
How do you feel about the support for girls surfing in South Africa?

Sarah Baum: As I said girls surfing in SA is really underestimated and it is slowly growing.


A.S.S: Being an elite athlete I assume you do some sort of training, run us through what you do to better your performance?

Sarah Baum: I go to gym twice a week and train with a personal trainer and I recently started surfing training with Simmon Nicolson which I going really good for me.


A.S.S: Have you read The Core of Surfing series that has been posted on alternate Sports Solutions? What did you think of them?

Sarah Baum: I think it is really great that they are supplying us with very important stretches and exercises and they really help with my surfing.


A.S.S: Is there development in surfing in this country? are there any younger surfers boys or girls that you think could turn heads like you have , in the near future?

Sarah Baum: There are definitely some up and coming surfers in SA boys and girls and I look forward to seeing them in the future.


A.S.S :Do you sport scientists could better surfing performance?

Sarah Baum: It would be really cool to look closer at what exactly we do in the water. We can see what muscles we are using the most and build on that.



A.S.S: Where to next? What are you plans for this year?

Sarah Baum: On the 4th of May I am off the Portugal then France. The rest of the I am just training and doing as many contests as I can locally and internationally and try make a bigger name for myself.


Thanks for your time and good luck with the rest of the year hope to see three girls on the tour very soon.

Alternate Sports Solutions Team

No comments:

Post a Comment