I've never been one for the main stream sports so when I was asked to start a blog as a university assignment I decided to blog on alternate sports, which to me are far more exciting and extreme yet don't get the media exposure the deserve, so after Qualifying as a Exercise Scientist last year I decided to keep my blog going and focus on these sports as well as document my travels being a profession surf judge and a bit of my new interest in sport journalism, feel free to use the question box or post comments, Enjoy!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Meet The Olympian - Tiffany Kruger


Two years back we ran an athlete profile on South African Canoeing super star Tiffany Kruger, as she was selected as part of the Olympic Training squad, with the possibility of qualifying for the 2012 London Olympic Games, well two years later at the age of 24, its official Tiffany will be heading over to London to compete in the ladies K1 200m Sprint Kayak race.

I managed to catch up with Tiff this is what she had to say.

Hi Tiffany
 First of all a huge congratulations on this amazing achievement. Going to compete at the Olympics has to be one of the biggest honours any sportsman/woman can achieve, and only a very small percentage of the population ever achieve it so I’m sure you’ve been on cloud 9 these past couple weeks.
Tiff: Thank you, I do believe that competing at the Olympic Games is any sportsman’s ultimate dream and it is a huge accomplishment! I am super excited to have qualified and I’m very happy that my hard work and dedication has eventually paid off.
So obviously to get to the level that you are at is no easy task, it takes many hours of training on and off the water and all round dedication. From the time you were selected for the squad, did you have to make any major lifestyle changes?
Tiff: The training of a top level athlete is not easy and it becomes your life. I have made many changes since I was selected for the squad; I have based myself mostly in PMB to train with my coach Attila Adrovicz on a daily basis which is essential at this level. At this level your life becomes a cycle of eat sleep and train.
And now that you are officially part of the South African Olympic Team, I can imagine the training load has increased significantly, run us through a day in the life of Tiffany Kruger?
Tiff: yes, the training load is as intense as ever, but if you want to be the best you have to do whatever it takes. My daily training schedule varies from day to day, but usually includes about 3 sessions alternating between paddling, running and gym. Physiotherapy is also important so that is also included in my training schedule.
The 200m sprint, is a high intensity flat out race, do you have a strategy that you use? Do you think it’s a good start or a big finishing kick which makes the difference?
Tiff: Every Athlete has a strategy and it is important to know your race. My strategy is to focus on my own race, and race  my race how I have trained. In the 200m race I believe that both the start and the finish are vitally important as it is a short explosive powerful race and is easily lost by one mistake be it in the start or the finish.
Pietermaritzburg seems to be the powerhouse of canoeing in KZN and even South Africa, do you feel as though you were at any disadvantage coming from a small town like Amanzimtoti? And do you think you had to work harder to gain the recognition that some of the other paddlers from the higher profile paddling communities got?
Tiff: Amanzimtoti has some extremely talented athletes and no one is disadvantaged coming from there, it just depends how badly you want something and how hard you are prepared to work for it. Of course in higher profile paddling communities it is easier in the sense that more is provided financially and it is easier for athletes to travel and gain experience, although I am not saying that coming from a small town it is impossible I am saying that it will make you a better athlete in the long run because you have worked harder to reach your goals, and you did so because you were so passionate about your sport that your love for it kept you going, and that is very important.

Finally what advice do you have for aspiring local sportsmen/women that want to get to the same level as yourself in their respective sporting codes?
Tiff: Love what you do and don’t do it for anyone else but for yourself.  Always push yourself as hard as you can and when you think you have pushed yourself to the limit push a little harder.

Thanks Tiff, good luck for the Olympics, you’ve come this far against all odds so there is nothing stopping you from bringing that Gold medal home!
Tiff: Thank you so much for this opportunity and I hope to do you all proud.
Xxx
To follows Tiffany’s journey to the London Olympic Games follower her on twitter @Tiffany_Kruger

Wade Botha 
Sport Scientist

No comments:

Post a Comment