I've never been one for the main stream sports so when I was asked to start a blog as a university assignment I decided to blog on alternate sports, which to me are far more exciting and extreme yet don't get the media exposure the deserve, so after Qualifying as a Exercise Scientist last year I decided to keep my blog going and focus on these sports as well as document my travels being a profession surf judge and a bit of my new interest in sport journalism, feel free to use the question box or post comments, Enjoy!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

El Salvador chaos


Well my trip to El Salvador to judge the ISA World Masters Surfing Championships has been anythig but a breeze,firstly my flight from Durban to O.R Thambo get cancelled and i get placed on a later flight which gets delayed so i arrive at O.R Thambo International with barley enough time to check in and bard my connecting flight to Sao Paulo , at the ticket counter there was an issue with my ticket and thanks to the incompetance of the SAA staff I missed my flight and had to spend the evening in Johannesburg, due to missing my connection to Brazil my other connection now would also be missed, so now i have one night to sort out all my other flights before getting on a plane to Brazil, oh did I mention the travel agent i needed to contact was in El Salvador!!

Any way I manage to get it sorted and now have a 16 hour overnight lay over in Sao Paulo , thank goodness SAA has arranged for me to stay in a hotel and not spend the night on the airport floor.

The rest of my flights go smooth and just when I think the worst is over and I have finally reached my destination, only to find out my luggage never made it , great.

So now it's day 2 in El Salvador, really cool place, waves look super fun but its been raining a heap so the water in brown and there are whole trees floating around, had a judges seminar with all the international judges (they come from everywhere, Australia, USA, Hawaii, Peurto Rico, Peru and Brazil), and we checked out the contest site and the tower which is sick!

Hoping my boards and clothes arrive by the start of the event on Monday, because being in a place littered with such good waves and not having a pair of board shorts or your boards is hardly ideal.

Tomorrow we have the parade of nations and the opening function which is always cool and on Monday the events kicks off so here's to hoping the rain stops and my luggage arrives .

Wade


No comments:

Post a Comment